18 October 2009

response to Michelle: 10.18.09


So I want to know, seriously all theory aside, what is art to you?


In class, we haven't really discussed much about what we personally think about art, and I'm glad Michelle posed this question.

Personally, before second semester of senior year, I didn't like drawing, because I was horrible at it, and I didn't really think about "art", per say. I wasn't good at it, so basically I didn't care.

When picking my classes for second semester, however, my counselor explained how I was one "art" credit (or one class) short to graduate. I thought I had done my four classes with two full years of chorus, but apparently it didn't count that way. So I found myself in Graphic Design. Since it's mainly computers, I thought I could handle it. I was so wrong. We barely worked on the computers, it was all about drawing and then scanning it into the computer. So I tried my hardest, created a few fonts, a few album covers, and came out loving concert posters! My teacher was a big concert poster and concert flyer enthusiast, from old Clash posters, to recent ones, hometown band flyers and it was also how he made money on the side. Mr. Flanagan, my teacher, exposed me to a lot of things that I didn't consider art, like the pop art and other graphic design areas of work. I thought art was the stuffy old paintings that we learned about in elementary school!

That summer my parents finally started letting me go to Boston alone, and so I hopped on the T a lot and went to the MFA. One time they were having a Chanel fashion exhibit, and another time they had a pop art exhibit, along with the older art. It was then that I really started liking art museums.

I was excited when I came to MCLA and found out that we can go to MassMoca and the Clark for free! I really like mostly everything that is in Moca all the time, even if I don't understand some of the really 'modern' pieces. And although the Clark is more along the lines of the old "stuffy" art, I still appreciate it for what it is and the talent it takes to create this art.

Artists really have the power to emotionally affect the observer, one reason why I like Tolstoy. There is a definite relationship between artist and observer. Sometimes it is possible to feel better knowing someone else has been there. Art museums are a good way to go and either clear your head, or have time to think while looking at images or portrayals of people who have gotten through your worst of problems. Even just staring at something beautiful can brighten your day.

Art undeniably has a profound effect on peoples lives and it is an integral part of human nature.

No comments: